Karachi Blast BiographySource (google.com.pk)
A suicide bomb blast by the Taliban killed arguably Pakistan’s best known police-commander, Superintendent of Police (SP) Crime Investigation Department (CID) Chaudhry Aslam, near Essa Nagri at the Lyari Expressway in Karachi on Thursday.
The Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), who had also carried out an attack on Aslam’s house in 2011, claimed responsibility for the blast.
Shortly after the attack on Thursday, TTP spokesperson in Mohmand, Sajjad Mohmand, told Express News that the group has carried out a “successful” attack to take revenge for several Taliban members killed by the police.
The famed and fearless police officer had 29 years of experience behind him, and ran an elaborate intelligence network across Karachi’s complex web of alliances and bitter, bloody rivalries. Over the years, he had amassed a fortune just from gathering bounties over the dozens of militants and wanted criminals in the country.
Earlier during the day, a CID team led by Aslam conducted a raid along the Northern Bypass in the Manghopir area of Karachi and claimed to have killed three militants. A policeman also suffered injuries during the raid.
The police claimed that the killed militants belonged to TTP and they had been planning to carry out a terror attack in the city on the occasion of 8th Rabiul Awal.
Around 35 minutes after the blast, the Aga Khan University Hospital received seven other bodies of injured policemen. Farhan (27) and Kamran (34) were pronounced dead on arrival while Rehmat Ali (27), Mohammad Fayyaz (27), Hazrat Bilal (32), Mohammad Irfan (28) and Farhan Ahmed Khan (28) are understood to be critically injured.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the incident, adding that such attacks will not deter the morale of law enforcing agencies in the fight against terrorism.
President Mamnoon Hussain also expressed his heartfelt sympathies with the bereaved families and paid tribute to the martyred officer, lauding him for his courage and services to the country.
Nature of the blast
Following investigations of the blast, the Inspector General Sindh said at least 20-25 kilograms of explosives were used in the blast.
The bomber smashed his vehicle into Aslam’s convoy and he and two other policemen were killed, senior CID officer Iqbal Mehmood told AFP.
The blast was so powerful that it threw the shattered wreckage of Aslam’s vehicle some 20 metres (65 feet) from where it was hit.
One of Aslam’s colleagues, senior officer Raja Umar Khatab, said it appeared the attackers had carried out a comprehensive recce in preparation for the attack.
“It seems that the suicide attacker was inside the car and waiting for Aslam’s car to arrive near him and blew or hit the car with Aslam’s vehicle,” he said.
‘Bomb-proof car had gone for repairs’
Following the blast, condolences and tributes poured in from all corners of the country.
Talking to Express News, the slain officer’s wife Noreen Aslam said about her husband:
“He never once succumbed to threats, never talked of backing out. If he wanted to, he would have done so after the attack at our house. Instead, he would always say, ‘on the day I’m destined to die, no one will be able to save me, and on the day I’m not, no one could kill me.’”
She further said that the other, bomb-proof car had gone for repairs since 2-3 days, and that’s why her husband had taken the other car today.
Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon said about Chaudhry Aslam’s death:
“This is a huge loss for the entire force. His [SP Aslam's] gallant endeavours are not hidden from anyone. He bravely continued the fight against terrorism despite facing threats and having suffered from similar previous attacks. ”
Memon said the tragic incident is being investigated and more details on the nature of the blast will follow.
Profile: “As a Muslim, my faith tells everyone has to die one day. I’m not afraid of it.”
Aslam joined the force in 1987. He became the inspector and station house officer for the Kalakot police station in 1991 and then SHO for Gulbahar in 1994.
He was one of the few officers left alive among those who participated in the infamous clean-up operation against the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in the 1990s.
In 2011, following the attack on his house, Chaudhry Aslam was the first to get out of his house and pick up the bodies of the dead and injured.
“I will bury the attackers in the same place here,” he had said then, as he pointed to the 8 by 6 foot crater. “I will not step back. I will carry on with my jihad [against the terrorists] until the day of judgement.”
Aslam had been frequently targeted in the past, particularly for carrying out targeted operations against terrorists in the city, but he used to say:
“As a Muslim, my faith tells everyone has to die one day. I’m not afraid of it.”
Chaudhry was a decorated grade-18 officer and his achievements include a Pakistan Police Medal, Qauid-e-Azam Police Medal and the Tamgha-i-Imtiaz awarded by the president on March 23 this year.